What Not to Put Down Your Garbage Disposal:
• Fibrous Foods: celery. Lettuce, carrots, onion skins, potato skins, etc.
• Pasta, Rice and Beans: these foods can swell in water
• Grease, Fats and Oils: grease can clog drains and create unpleasant odor in disposal
• Egg Shells: shells do not rinse down drains well
• Non-food items: they do not break down in drains
How You Can Clean and Kill Odor in Your Garbage Disposal
1. Put a handful of ice cubes into disposal
2. Grind it up
3. Pour a little dish soap if you want
4. Wash soap out of disposal with warm water. This will clean the residue in the garbage disposal and help eliminate odor.
NOTE: If your garbage disposal has a really bad odor you can help to neutralize the smell by grinding a citrus fruit like lemons or oranges. Simply cut the fruit into wedges, turn the disposal on and put the wedges down one at a time along with a steady stream of cool water. The fruit rinds will help to clean the grind components while the citrus scent will provide a fresh smell.