Reducing your energy consumption can save you money and ease your impact on the planet. It’s a win-win!
Here are 5 painless ways to cut back on energy consumption in winter.
1. The sun provides free heat, so use it! Open the curtains on your South-facing windows during winter days to allow the sun’s rays to heat your home. Close your window coverings when the sun goes down to keep the heat inside.
2. Lower your thermostat when you go to bed at night. Turning the heat down 10 to 15 degrees for eight hours decreases your annual heating bill about 10%, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. To stay warm while you sleep, invest in some flannel sheets and a cozy comforter for your bed.
3. Only use exhaust fans when necessary. The fans in your bathroom and kitchen pull out the hot air that rises to your ceiling. Don’t forget to shut them off.
4. Invest in insulation to cover up those areas in your home where heat might escape. The money you save on heating costs will be worth the expense.
* Use inexpensive foam weather stripping to seal doors and windows.
* Make sure your attic has the proper amount of insulation — if you can see the joists, you probably need more. If you’re doing it yourself, blanket insulation is easier to use. Hire an insulation contractor to apply loose-fill or sprayed foam insulation.
5. Keep your furnace and vents properly maintained. Sam Pollard & Son offers preventative maintenance agreements.
Check your furnace filter monthly, and replace it when it’s dirty.
Sam Pollard & Son can provide a computerized heat loss/heat gain report on your eastern North Carolina home. Call our professionals at 252-752-3661.